Monday, July 2, 2012

여기저기 (Here and there)

The last few days have been busy, continuiously running around Seoul meeting friends. 

(6-27)-  In the afternoon, I met 현정선샌님 (Hyeonjeong- last year's Korean teacher) at Gangnam station. From there we went to have lunch and then to 교보문고 (Kyobo Bookstore) where we looked for the story that was going to be told at Sup Sogui Hosu (Korean Summer camp) this year. Finding the book we browsed around for find some things to buy for the camp store. We found a few new additions that the villagers will like. After finishing buying things at Kyobo we went to a cafe where Hyeonjeon showed me her paper that she is working on for her Master's degree. While reading and editing some of her paper, I realized how much dedication she put into the camp as a whole. 

Some backgound on Hyeonjeong that I found amazing was that she has been on staff as Sup Sogui Hosu for nine years (counting this summer). Her first year on staff she was attending college for a degree in accounting but after her first year she went back to college and completely change her major to Korean language education. And now nine years later she is still as passionate (if not more) for the education of Korean language to write an essay for her master's degree. It makes me amazed how much Sup Sogui Hosu has not only changed the people that attend the camp but the staff that work at it as well. I am so apprecaitive of everyone who dedicated their lives to the camp. 

Anyways, after finishing reading Hyeonjeong's paper it was time for her to leave. We said goodbye and that we would see each other the next day for the new staffs' orientation.

(6-28)- I went to 안양(Anyang) where I met last year's Korean teacher from Sup Sogui Hosu and Thommy. Together we all met with the new Sup Sogui Hosu staff and went though some pre-departure orientation so that they had some idea of the philosophy behind the camp and Concordia Language Villages as a whole. We also went over camp rules and policy. Sitting though the orientation I realized all of the work the staff at Sup Sogui Hosu put in to make the camp a good expereience. It makes me feel proud to have attended such a unique camp where people dedicate their time to teaching the Korean language and culture. 

After the orientation, we parted ways and I wished everyone well and to have a good time at Sup Sogui Hosu. I then went with Thommy to Catholic University where I met some of his friends and went out for some fried chicken. After the meal we went to play some pool. We played a few matches and then decided to go back to the dorm for the night.

(6-29)- Waking up late because Thommy and I went to bed pretty late we went to have a cup of ramen for brunch and a little after that I decided that I should head home. 

I reached 잠실역 (Jamsil station) and realized it was still early so I called 우연 (Lisa, freshman friend) from school to see if she could hangout for a little while. She came at around 5pm where her mother dropped her and her sister, (우정, English name Cindy), off and rushed off to visit on of her friends. So, I was left alone with both of them. We walked around the underground shopping center for a little while and then eventually headed to Lotte where we walked around the skating rink because of the hot weather. We found an arcade where Cindy played a few games then we decided that it was time to eat so we went to have dinner. I had 떡만두국 (Rice cake and dumpling soup) and Lisa and Cindy shared 자짱면 (black bean sauce on top of noodles). After the good dinner we wondered around some more around Lotte Mart doing a little bit of window shopping and then ended at a cafe where we waited for Lisa's and Cindy's mothers' call. Their mother came at around 9pm and picked them up. I took the bus home and then realized that it was a down pour so I walked a little bit thinking I could make it but realized that the rain was too much as I called Kuk (host father) to come pick me up. I arrived home a little wet but happy I did not walk the whole way. 


(6-30)- I woke up to the sound of strom rain hitting the house and realized that it was still down pouring like the night before. I had a good breakfast and then left to meet some more friends. I thought I could brave the rain again but was wrong once again. However, as I was about to call Kuk a really nice ajummah (middle-aged lady) drove up beside me and offered me a ride to the bus stop. Thankful for the offer I got in and she drove me to the bus stop. I was very thankful for her and thanked her multiple times when I got out. Reaching 잠실역 (Jamsil station) I took the subway a few stops in to 삼성역 (Samseong station) where I was to meet 진기 (Willie) and 효은 (Michelle). 

I met both of them in front of Coex Mall and had lunch at Mr. Pizza. The pizza was pretty good (Note: Korean pizza is very different from American for example Korean pizza has potatos and corn on it) and after lunch we wandered around Coex and decided to go see a movie. When we went to the theater we realized that none of the movies we wanted to see were at ideal times so we skipped the idea and went to 잠실역 (Jamsil station)- Lotte. At Jamsil we walked around some more looking around, mostly hanging around the ice rink--refreshing, and then went to Red Mango where we had 달끼빙수 (Strawberry shaved ice desert). 

After the desert Willie insisted on going to the arcade so we followed him and played a few games. Willie ended up winning one game and got two stuffed animals for it and gave one to me(?). At four I had to go to a music fundraiser that Kuk was hosting so I took the subway up near 서울여대 (Seoul Woman's University), where in a little church near the university was where fundraiser was being held. At the fundraiser there were music performances, my favorite was the Korean drumming because I knew the music there were playing. Their performance was well played and did a good job. 

At the end of the performance we headed home after a long day of running around. 

(7-1)- Today I went to church with Kuk's son 상수리 (Sang-su-ri). His church is located near Yongsan and is a mega-church. He told me that the church is made up of mostly young people, no older than mid-thirties, and has about 50,000 attendees. When I saw the church it was no joke that it was a mega-church. I got an information brochure about the church and saw that there are five services every Sunday and that there are five different buildings that the church owns. After church I left to meet a friend however did not show up because she got tied up in something that took longer than anticipated so in that time I wandered exploring around Coex again. At 5:30pm I left to meet the old credit facilitator at Sup Sogui Hosu. 

I arrived at 압구정역 (Apgujeong station) where I was met by 영미선생님 (Youngmi) and she took me out for dinner. I had 불고기 (Bulgogi, marinated BBQd beef). After the delicious dinner she took me to her apartment where I met her husband and 현우 (Hyunwoo, who I have known from Sup Sogui Hosu since he was six years old) Hyunwoo has grown a lot and is very active in sports, in school and even plays the cello, Youngmi told me. Hyunwoo and I went to a nearby park where we played soccer for a a couple hours. At 8:30 we were both pretty worn out so we headed back to the apartment. Back at Youngmi's house she quickly heated up some more bulgogi and I had a second dinner with Hyunwoo. After eating I watched Hyunwoo play some baseball on the computer. Because Hyunwoo had school the next day we went to bed at around 11. 

(7-2)- I woke up at around 9am where no one was at the apartment so I had a 팥빵 (bread filled with red bean) for breakfast and then waited for Youngmi to return. When she returned we went out together where she showed me around the 동대문 (Dongdaemun- east gate) area. We had lunch at a little restaurant where I had 돌솥비빔밥 (Rice and vegetable and egg mixed together in hot stone bowl) which was vey good. After lunch Youngmi and I went to Home Plus Super Market where she bought me a few snacks to eat later and then headed to a cafe where we were to meet some old Sup Sogui Hosu teachers. 

At the cafe 순애 (Soonae), 정혜 (Jeonghye), and 미경 (Mikyoung) came. We all had a good time visiting together catching up after not seeing each other for a few years. Jeonghye's office was right above the cafe we were at so she showed me around where she worked. She works at a studio where she teaches elementary aged kids performing skills using creativity. After the good visit it was time for everyone to leave so we all left and Soonae excorted me to the subway station. I reached Jamsil and did some quick shopping and then quickly headed home. 


Some Cows on My Walk to The Bus Stop

Apartments in The Distance

My Bus

My Bus Stop


삼실역 입구 (Jamsil Station Entrance)

#1670


View From 16th Floor Cafe in Anyang

Thommy

Thommy and New Sup Sogui Hosu Staff, Minsung

Lunch, Pizza and 떡볶이 (Spicy rice cakes)


Mr. Pizza, KPOP Themed Pizza




Strawberry Shaved Ice Desert

Willie and Michelle

New Backpack

Opened

돌솥비빔바

반찬 (Side-Dishes)

정혜누나 (Jeonghye)

순애누나 (Soonae)


Can't Go to Korea Without 빼빼로


No comments:

Post a Comment